As part of its ongoing 50th anniversary celebrations this season, Diamond Peak will host a free Retro Ski Film + Speaker Series at The Chateau at Incline Village this winter.
The Retro Ski Film + Speaker Series will include brief historical presentations by noted local historians, filmmakers and former Ski Incline employees, followed by screenings of classic ski and snowboard films including five Warren Miller films from the 1960s through 2006 as well as “Daydreams” from Tahoe legend Craig Beck.
Events will begin at 5 p.m. with a brief presentation having to do with the history of skiing in Tahoe, the history of Incline Village, or other related topics followed by a retro-themed costume contest. Retro ski films will start at approximately 5:30 p.m. and run for approximately 60-90 minutes. The Retro Ski Film + Speaker Series is a free, family-friendly event series that will take place in the Chateau Ballroom (955 Fairway Drive, Incline Village). The Chateau will offer a no-host bar and light snacks available for purchase at each event.
- Wednesday, Dec. 28: Warren Miller’s “Many Moods of Skiing” (1961) + Speaker David Antonucci (Tahoe’s Olympic history and the 1960 Winter Games) + 1960s costume contest
- Wednesday, Jan. 4: Warren Miller’s “Skiing on My Mind” (1976) + Speaker Mark McLaughlin (History of Incline Village and Ski Incline/Diamond Peak – Part 1) + 1970s costume contest
- Wednesday, Jan. 11: Event postponed due to blizzard
- Wednesday, Jan. 25: Warren Miller’s “Beyond the Edge” (1986) + Speaker Marty Koch & Lee Weber Koch + 1980s costume contest
- Wednesday, Jan. 18: No event
- Wednesday, Feb. 1: Warren Miller’s “Snowriders” (1996) + Mark McLaughlin (History of Incline Village and Ski Incline/Diamond Peak – Part 2) + 1990s costume contest
- Wednesday, Feb. 8: No event
- Wednesday, Feb. 15: No event
- Wednesday, Feb. 22: No event
- Wednesday, March 1: Warren Miller’s “Off the Grid” (2006) + Lapanja Family (Lila Lapanja's journey from Diamond Peak to the US Ski Team) + 2000s costume contest
- Wednesday, March 8: No event
- Wednesday, March 15: Craig Beck’s “Daydreams” + Speaker Craig Beck (Early days of ski filmmaking in Tahoe) + ultimate Tahoe costume contest
Retro costume contests
Attendees are encouraged to come dressed up in period costumes corresponding to the decade of the featured ski film for each of the movie nights. Diamond Peak will have prizes for those who best represent the decade in question – the 1960s on Dec. 28, 1970s on Jan. 4, the 1980s on Jan. 25, the 1990s on Feb. 1, and the 2000s for the March 1 film. For the final event of the series, come dressed in “the ultimate Tahoe ski bum outfit” – however you define it.
Help us celebrate 50 years:
If you have a story or images you would like to share about skiing at Diamond Peak in the 1960s, '70s, '80s or '90s please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo: Warren Miller filming at Ski Incline circa 1969