Diamond Peak will again host a free Retro Ski Film Series at The Chateau at Incline Village this winter. The Retro Ski Film Series may include brief historical presentations by noted local historians, filmmakers, and former employees, followed by screenings of classic ski and snowboard films including five Warren Miller films from the 1970s through 1990s.
Events will begin at 5:00 p.m. with a brief presentation having to do with the history of skiing in Tahoe, the history of Incline Village, or other related topics. Retro ski films will start at around 5:30 p.m. and run for approximately 90 minutes. The Retro Ski Film Series is a free, family-friendly event series that will take place in the Chateau Ballroom (955 Fairway Drive, Incline Village). The Chateau will offer a no-host bar, and popcorn is available for purchase at each event.
- Thursday, Feb. 15: Warren Miller’s “Winter People” (1972) + speaker Mark McLaughlin - "History of the 1960 Winter Olympics at Squaw Valley"
- Thursday, Feb. 22: Warren Miller’s “In Search of Skiing” (1977) + speaker Richard Antell - "Weather history of Lake Tahoe"
- Thursday, Mar. 1: Warren Miller’s “Snowonder” (1982) + speaker Mark McLaughlin - "Reign of the Sierra Storm King"
- Thursday, Mar. 8: Warren Miller’s “White Winter Heat” (1987) + speaker Mark McLaughlin - "History of Lake Tahoe and the Comstock"
- Thursday, Mar. 15: Warren Miller’s “Steeper & Deeper” (1992) + speaker Richard Antell - "Celebrities of Lake Tahoe's northeast shore"
About our Speakers
Mark McLaughlin is an award-winning, nationally published author, professional speaker, and photographer with seven books and more than 750 articles in print. A regular contributor to California and Nevada media, he's won the Nevada State Press Award five times.
Richard Antell is a long-time trained docent and guide at the historic Thunderbird Lodge on the shores of northeast Lake Tahoe. A specialist in the history of Nevada, Richard enjoys telling stories and sharing his depth of knowledge with locals and tourists alike.
Watch trailers, get excited!
Photo: Warren Miller filming at Ski Incline circa 1969